6 top tips to kick start your marketing in January 2014
December 15, 2013
December. The traditional month for us to eat, drink, be merry and generally loosen the ties on our business. But it’s also a fantastic month to stand back from your business with a timely marketing audit as follows:
- What have you spent on marketing this year? Tot up the cost of those networking events, adverts, seminars, direct mail, PR etc. Which activities have worked? What would you write off, improve or repeat? You don’t want to fall into a marketing rut, starting the New Year repeating what you did this year because you don’t know any better.
- How much business – new business from new clients and more business from existing clients have you gained this year? Looking at the figures are they more or less than you expected? Did you have realistic expectations? What’s your target for next year?
- Did you forget to market to your existing clients this year? Many small businesses focus on new business from cold prospects to the exclusion of generating cost effective additional sales from existing clients. If that’s you, make a plan to communicate with existing clients throughout 2014.
- Did you embrace marketing with gusto this year or begrudgingly allocate the odd hour here and there when you were quiet or, worried sales were drying up? Successful businesses put marketing at the heart of their universe. They find time consistently week in week out to market their business and in doing so build a marketing momentum. If your marketing has been on the backburner this could be the reason behind your lack of sales in some weeks or months.
- What improvements are you going to make to your products and services next year? Businesses that are in demand are always looking for ways in which they can make their offering more attractive. Make a list and add a timeline.
- Pat yourself on the back! What have you achieved in your business this year that you’re really proud of? Make a list as big as you like, make it visible and use it to inspire you to achieve your big and small goals in 2014.
I wish you a very happy Christmas and a very successful, healthy and vibrant 2014. If you need to kick start your marketing in 2014, make sure that you use the marketing planning template in my new book: The 15 Essential Marketing Masterclasses For Your Small Business. You can buy it from Amazon for just £7.81.